In the heart of Birmingham, AL, lies True40’s first franchised location. Kaitlyn Bentley opened the doors of True40 Downtown Birmingham in August 2018 at The Battery, Birmingham’s old battery plant. There is so much history here! It feels very authentic, not at all forced. We absolutely love the community here. From Birmingham Pedal Tours, to Magic City Nutrition, there is quite the variety, but we fit together perfectly! It is more important now than ever to shop small, so I am going to highlight each of our neighbors and the special things that they bring to The Battery.
- Birmingham District Brewing Company: “We aren’t just selling beer, we’re using our craft to pay tribute to the Magic City and the men & women who’ve helped shape her.” District is your place for all your craft beer needs. They have a great outdoor courtyard area, where we have had several pop-ups. It’s a crowd favorite! Stop by District for the best vibes!
2. Wasabi Juan’s: “The idea of a Mexican/Sushi mashup isn’t original to us, but the need for easy to eat, transportable food grew from the overwhelming success of our neighbors at the brewery. Our goal is to make eating sushi more fun & approachable for everyone! Mixing up sushi, which is our specialty, with burritos & tacos makes our food the perfect pairing with the delicious local beers available next door. A beer in one hand and a burrito in the other sounds good to us. What do you think?” Ummm sign us up! There’s always a line out the door for Wasabi Juan’s Mexican/Asian fusion. My fav is the 4:20 nachos with chicken! It involves doritos, avocados and unagi sauce *swoons*.
3. Birmingham Pedal Tours: “Birmingham Pedal Tours is the Magic City’s only pedal-powered tour company and the largest in Alabama. We are committed to transporting our riders to the best bars in Birmingham, while showing them a great time. Pedal tours are perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a birthday, wedding, bachelorette party, anniversary, team outing, catching up with friends, Sunday-funday, pub crawl or anything else. Dress up the bike, crank up the music and get ready for a fun-filled afternoon or evening while hitting preferred local hot spots.” You’ll know it when you see it. Seriously so much fun!!
4. Mosaic Birmingham: “Community is a priority at Mosaic. Each Sunday we pause for a few minutes to talk, share, pray, grab a cup of coffee or a bite to eat, and remind one another of how important relationships really are. We’re certain that God has intended that we experience life together. We all have a story to tell, and yours is just as important as anyone else’s. To be a part of the community at Mosaic, all you need to do is come.” Our next door neighbors. Mosaic is held in the Battery Event Space, which is absolutely beautiful!
5. Gus’s Fried Chicken: “Over 60 years ago in the small community of Mason, Tennessee, Napoleon ‘Na’ Vanderbilt created something amazing – fried chicken that could unite a community. In an era of divisive racial attitudes the residents of Mason found that they could all – black and white – agree on how much they loved Na’s fried chicken. You can’t keep good fried chicken a secret, and before long Gus’s World Famous Hot and Spicy Fried Chicken had a following that stretched far beyond the quiet streets of Mason, Tennessee. Regional publications, including the Memphis Commercial Appeal, began featuring the restaurant in the late 1980s, and national publications, such as Saveur and GQ magazine, soon followed. In fact, in January 2001, GQ named Gus’s Fried Chicken one of the top ten meals in the United States worth flying for.” OH MAN, how are we so lucky to have Gus’s right underneath us? You have to come try their hot chicken!
6. Magic City Nutrition: “Smoothie flavors range from strawberry and banana to s’mores and cinnamon toast crunch (yum!). The teas, which taste more like juices, pack a black tea/green tea blend and B vitamins, as well as aloe to aid digestion. Magic City Nutrition also serves protein bars and protein iced coffee. Come hang out and chat about losing weight or building muscle, grab a fast healthy meal to go, or pick up a pre- or post-workout snack.” (Bham Now). The perfect complement to a True40 class! Magic City Nutrition’s protein shakes are the healthy treat you dream about.
7. Gaia Florals: “We are Birmingham’s modern flower shop. We offer common floristry services (bouquets + arrangements) along with a retail stem bar for building your own options! We are a small, locally owned business that strives on supporting our local flower farmers. You will see a variety of local products from many of our area’s growers in our store + designs. If it is available locally, it will be sourced locally. We directly support our local farmers, therefore seasonality is majorly influential in our selection. You won’t see hydrangeas in November, daffodils in May, peonies in February, etc. We work with nature for she is the real all star, after all!” Formerly Magic City Flowers, Gaia Florals is the most beautiful flower shop in town! They have custom arrangements of all sizes, a stem bar, and the best home decor. Stop by to customize your wreath for Christmas!